Here is a guide to making SWEET and SAVORY smoothies. All recipes are for ONE serving, and can be made in the Nutri-bullet, Vitamix, Blentec, or other blender. Click here to skip right to the recipes, below.
Before you go shopping for the goodies, get to know these things about vegetable smoothies. Below, you will see why each ingredient is used.
The FIVE MAIN INGREDIENTS ARE:
1. Leaves (spinach, kale, chard, lettuce)
2. Fruit (berries, banana, pear, apple)
3. FAT (nuts, coconut milk, see ideas below)
1) the flavor of greens are sweet and bitter, and salt will diminish the bitter flavors and one pinch will do.
2) any vegetable will do, but some are definitely more palatable, such as: spinach, lettuce, kale, chard, carrots, celery, cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli
1) use fruit very sparingly, the fruit ought to be a very small amount, not much is needed to amplify the sweeter side of the greens.
most any fruit will do, the most common ones are: most berries, banana, pear, apple, grape, orange, pineapple, watermelon
2) start with 1 strawberry, then taste the smoothie to see if you need more. If the bitter taste of the greens is still there, then add another pinch of salt before adding more fruit.
Nuts and coconut milk are the main fats that people use. Mostly for the creamy mouth feel. And just a few nuts (5 or so) will do the trick.
If you are just staring out: TASTE AS YOU GO. Taste after adding the 4 main ingredients, and if the smoothie is ‘missing something’ then add a piece of cucumber or zucchini or bell pepper (these are sweet tasting!). Taste again, and if “something is missing” then add a spice such as cinnamon, or a couple of fresh herb leaves such as basil or parsley.
Smoothies can be sweet or savory, and I have included ideas for both.
Below are ideas for SWEET and SAVORY smoothies.
On the sweet side green smoothie, a template:
GREEN LEAVES: 2 handfuls, thick stems removed (examples: kale, chard, collard greens, spinach, lettuce)
FRUIT: 1 small fruit (examples: 1 strawberry, 1-inch banana or apple or pear, 5 blueberries)
NUTS: 5 nuts (examples: cashews, almonds, pecans)
LIQUID: 1 cup water
SALT: 1 pinch salt (add another pinch –or two– if needed)
FLAVORS: this is optional, such as: pinch of cinnamon, or a couple leaves of basil
2 kale leaves (stem removed)
5 cashews or almonds
1 cup water
1 pinch salt
And, here are websites with recipes, be sure to reduce the fruit in HALF as these recipes have too too too much fruit: