One of my culinary students is 30-something and wants to learn how to cook the basics.
We’ve covered an egg breakfast and a quinoa and artichoke one-dish meal.
This time we’ll do:
A basic salad and pasta dinner:
• Ramped up Marinara over Angel Hair Pasta
• Tossed salad w/feta cheese and toasted pumpkin seeds
- types of salads: tossed, chopped, composed
- types of greens: tender, bitter, crispy
- matching dressings with greens: creamy dressings vs vinaigrettes
- fundamentals of making dressings
- types of pasta sauces: butter, cream, tomato
- marinara basics: homemade vs enhanced sauce in a jar
- pasta basics: size, shape, texture
- Unpack the bags, separate/arrange the goods.
- Make the sauce
- Make the dressing
- Make the pasta
- Set up the salad
Here’r the choices I gave him….
Choice #1. Ramped up Marinara over Angel Hair Pasta
We can boost the marinara sauce with sauteed veggies, red onion and red wine.
Choice #2. Three-Green Pesto over Angel Hair Pasta
(Pesto has: Spinach, Basil and Cilantro w/cashews and miso)
Salad dish: two options….
Choice #1. Composed Salad of Butter Lettuce, Fennel and Orange and toasted walnuts and coriander
Choice #2. Tossed salad w/feta cheese and toasted pumpkin seeds
Radicchio or mixed salad greens
Sun Dried Tomatoes
Salad dressings: two options….
Choice #1. Pesto Dressing (same as above)
Choice #2. Olive oil and fig vinaigrette