Start your day, and end your day with this warming, immune-boosting drink.
Simple to make, simple to remember.
Why this combination works
First of all, ginger is the prominent flavor, and its warmth is intensified by the cayenne. It is quite warming. You’ll feel a warm flush throughout the body, which I heard is good (to get the body hot) to charge up the immune system.
Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice?
Instead of the honey, I sometimes use dried fruit, such as a heaping tablespoon of currants, raisins, prunes, or goji berries. You can also use maple syrup or agave.
Honey Lemon Ginger Cayenne Elixir
- sauce pan
- cutting board
- measuring cup and spoon
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp minced ginger (peeled is optional; or 1 ginger teabag)
- 2 pinch cayenne powder (I use 2 small pinches)
- -- -- -----
- 2 tsp lemon juice (start with 1 tsp if you want a less sour drink)
- 2 drops honey (generous drops) (other sweeteners listed below)
- 2 tsp Apple cider vinegar (ACV) (start with 1 tsp if you want a less sour drink)
- 2 tsp lime juice (start with 1 tsp if you want a less sour drink)
- 2 tsp tamarind paste (start with 1 tsp if you want a less sour drink)
- 2 drops maple syrup (generous drips)
- 2 drops agave
- 2 raisins or a date; crushed (put this in the saucepan with the ginger to liberate it's flavors)
- 2 pinch chipotle (I use 2 small pinches)
- 2 pinch cinnamon powder
- 2 pinch Chinese 5 Spice (or Pumpkin Pie Spice blend)
- 1 teabag Chai tea (I use the decaf version)
Heat the ginger and spices
- Simmer the water, ginger and spices in a covered sauce pan for at least 10 mins to 15 mins. If using dried fruit for the sweetener then add them now.
Add the sweet and sour (acid)
- Pour into a large mug and add the lemon juice (or ACV), and the honey (or other sweetener).
- Stir well, find a comfy spot and enjoy.