Every 1st Thursday of the month
Raw Food Potluck
(mark your calendars now for fall/winter 2011/2012)
We’ll meet in the evening, in Los Altos,
on 1st Street, across the street from Draeger’s Market at:
Back To Health Chiropractic
371 First Street Los Altos, CA 94022
Our host is Jamie Lucia, DC.
Dr. Jamie is a long-time resident of Los Altos, is busy with the Chamber, the Village Association and the vitalization of Los Altos. Not only is she busy at her office with patients, but also at ranches with adjusting horses(!).
WHO’S COMING AND WHY
Our raw food potlucks are open to anyone who is interested in:
- learning more about a raw food diet
- connecting with others who are interested in health and wellbeing
- learning and sharing ideas and experience in food and cooking
- health practitioners, professionals, athletes who want to support and connect with our community
Please share this announcement with others. Dr. Jamie will invite her patients, friends, town associates, too.
HERE’S OUR AGENDA
6:15: arrivals (this location has a one-person kitchen, so, arrive early if you need to use it. Best to bring a ready-to-serve dish.)
6:30: introductions, eat, mingle
7:30: guest speaker
8:00: goodbye hugs
“Food demo,” Oct 6th, by Joni Sare, Nutrition Educator and Therapeutic Culinary Artist (I’m trying that title on for size, it feels good!). I’ll make a Savory Soup, using fresh produce from the Los Altos Farmer’s Market. This will be an improv recipe, creating it on-the-spot to show you how and why I pair foods and flavors. I’ll lead a discussion on the benefits (and the pitfalls to avoid) while eating a raw food diet. www.jonisare.com
“The importance of exercise,” Nov 3rd, by Dr. Jamie Lucia. She will share her insights, her passion, her wisdom that she’s gained over the years, her success with adults, teens and youth, …as well as share her knowledge she’s gained while working with horses. See bio and website, above.
Future speakers TBA. If you would like to be a speaker, please contact me.
BRING A DISH TO SHARE
- First of all, the Los Altos Downtown Farmer’s Market is Thursday’s 4:30 – 8pm. If need be, you could swing by there first, grab some veggies, fruit, or kale chips, cookies from Mighty Mouth Foods.
- Please bring a raw vegan dish that can serve 4 to 6 people.
- Please bring a list of the ingredients to put along side your dish. This list can also include any info that describes the name of the dish & its ingredients. Fyi – I have name plates that hold a paper size of 5 inches wide and 1.5 inches deep. ….and have paper, too.
- We encourage you to get creative, make your own, a favorite dish from your favorite raw cook book, or blogger, or other. Feel free to write the group for ideas.
- Food guidelines/ingredients:
- Vegetarian (the potlucks on the 3rd Sunday of the month are vegan)
- Some processed foods are okay, yet keep them to a minimum – like canned coconut milk, maple syrup, brown sugars.
- Agave-free is best.
- No white sugar.
- Low oil and low salt is best.
- Seasonal, local, organic, sustainable, biodynamic, fair trade is best.
- If you have questions, just send me an email, or post it on the groups message board.
- If you want/need to keep it simple (if you are new to raw foods) – you can bring fruits, cut veggies or a simple salad w/a raw dressing.
We’ll celebrate all the creations (both food and drink), and will give a special nod to:
- the dish/drink that exceeds in flavor, texture and/or looks
- the dish/drink that exceeds in creativity (feel free to bring props, b/c creativity includes flavor, the process and the presentation)
- the person who stretched the most (we’ll give a bow to the one(s) who went waaay outside their comfort zone)
- the most s i m p l e, yet tasty and creative dish/drink (this could be a single food item that came from your backyard)
- the dish/drink that falls under the ‘difficult’ category (qualifiers for this category are too toooo many to name)
- the dish/drink that falls under the ‘most outrageous’ category (qualifiers for this category are unknown to name)
- the dish/drink that _______. I’m sure – at the table – we’ll come up with more special nods.
REMEMBER to mark your calendars
Thursdays, Los Altos, 6:15pm: Oct 6, Nov 3, Dec 1
Sundays, Cupertino, 4pm: Oct 16, Nov 20, Dec 18
I will put out a ‘donation jar’ to help pay for the monthly MeetUp fee, this donation is optional and the amount you put in is totally up to you.