I came up with this mock mayo/wrap in last night’s “Cooking Outside the (CSA) Box” cooking class at Williams-Sonoma, Los Gatos.
The class was a blast… and the mock mayo was a hit.
This mock mayonnaise (a mock aioli) is a vegan version, …an egg-free mayonnaise … and has optional FAT-FREE version, the base is white beans.
Click here to see the produce for Saturday’s class, Sept 10th.
Here are images, and below is the recipe, and the list of foods that were in the box this week.
Lettuce Wraps w/carrots, potatoes and a mock Tarragon Truffle Mayo (similar to an aioli)
- 2 shallots, chopped, large dice size
- 1/8 cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbls fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 can white beans (any 2 cups of cooked white beans will do)
- 2-3 tbls olive oil (a very grassy, peppery oil will be best)
- 1 tbls white miso (this is a salty sour condiment)
- 1-2 tsp truffle oil
- 2 tsp Wild Porchini Sea Salt (or 1 tsp sea salt)
Fat-free version: Omit the olive oil and truffle oil and push the bean mixture to a fine sieve for a more smoother texture.
- Saute the shallots, no oil or liquid is required, cook on medium to low heat until the shallots are dry and soft, stir occasionally.
- While the shallots are sauteing….
- Blend in small food processor: the beans, oils, miso and salt, set aside (omit the oils if you are doing the Fat-free version)
- When the shallots are dry and soft, add the vinegar and tarragon, cook for about a minute and turn off the heat. Cooling is optional.
- Add the shallot mixture to the bean mixture and blend until just mixed.
- Serve immediately, or chill. Keeps for several days in the fridge.
TIP: Over-blending the shallots and beans will chop the shallots into small bits, so, go ahead and blend more if this is what you want.
Here are the goodies that were in the box this Week: