Last Wednesday evening, 3 women came to my house for a cooking class to learn tasty, easy, quick and inexpensive ways to cook greens and fish.
They watched and took laaaaahotts of notes and helped me make two dishes:
- Sauteed Kale and Dover Sole with veggies and roasted garlic (shown below)
- Chard, Spinach and Asparagus with a white wine, orange juice and ginger sauce
Sauteed Kale and Dover Sole
makes 10 servings
Sauteed Greens w/Dover Sole
….w/grated carrot, seaweed, cilantro, roasted garlic and lemon. And at the end we decided to toss in baked butternut squash.
Ingredients, divided into 3 categories:
- 1 tsp dried seaweed, soaked, then sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped, caramelized
- 2 tbls roasted garlic oil and cloves (garlic confit, recipe to come another time)
- toasted pumpkin seeds, as garnish
- 1 bunch Kale leaves, chopped
- the Kale stems, sliced
- 2 Carrots, grated
- 1 lb fish: Dover sole (I have the butcher cut the fish into bite-size pieces)
- 1 medium Butternut squash slices, baked
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- Wash and slice the squash to 1/4″ thick slices, lay flat on baking sheet, bake at 350° for 40 minutes, or until soft.
- Put dried seaweed in medium-sized bowl and add water to cover. Soak for at least 15 minutes (up to 3 days), then cut into 1/4-inch-wide slices. Add more water as needed, should always be submerged.
- Wash all produce. I use “Veggie Wash” see image, below. (well, not the onion)
- Chop the onion and saute it with the garlic oil while you are preparing the rest of the veggies, stir often (see Post on “cooking onions”).
- Separate the kale leaves from the stems, slice the stems into 1/4-inch-wide slices, add to onions, stir.
- Cut the kale leaves into narrow 1/2-inch-wide slices, add to onions, stir often.
- Grate the carrot, set aside.
- Zest and juice the lemon, set aside.
- Chop the cilantro, set aside.
- Toast pumpkin seeds (I’ll post a ‘how to’ another time).
- Add the grated carrots and baked squash, stir, heat through.
- Serve, garnish with the lemon juice and zest, chopped cilantro and pumpkin seeds.