Honey Lemon Ginger Cayenne Elixir
- sauce pan
- cutting board
- measuring cup and spoon
- 2 cups water
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pinch cayenne powder
- -- -- -----
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (start with 1 tsp if you want a less sour drink)
- 1 tsp honey (other sweeteners listed below)
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (start with 1 tsp if you want a less sour drink)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 or 2 raisins, or a date (alternatives for the sweetener)
- 1 or 2 drops of agave, or tamarind paste
- 1 pinch cinnamon powder, or pumpkin pie spice blend
Cook the ginger and spices
- Simmer the water, ginger and powders in a covered sauce pan for at least 10 mins to 15 mins. If using dried fruit for the sweetener then add them now.
Add the sweet and acid (sour)
- Pour into mug and add the lemon juice (or ACV), and the honey (or other sweetener).
- Stir well, and enjoy.
Lemon, Ginger, Cayenne, with honey
I’ve been drinking this elixir since mid-February when I was introduced to the “I am Cozy” drink at Cafe Gratitude in Santa Cruz. It was divine. I felt comforted.
Shortly after that, I had a similar drink, the “Witchy Apple Cider” at the Wu Wei Tea Temple in Fairfax. It is equally divine, and comforting.
Ginger is the prominent flavor, and its warmth is intensified by the cayenne. It is quite warming. You’ll feel a warm flush throughout the body, which I heard is good (to get the body hot) to charge up the immune system.