This cooking lesson plan is for those who want to cover knife skills, and 3 stove-top cooking methods, and using dried herbs.
1) The first hour will be at the counter learning knife skills:
• How to hold and use a knife.
• Basic techniques and types of cuts.
• We will cut veggies to use in our second hour.
2) The second hour will be at the stove learning these 3 cooking methods and talking about herbs, spices:
1) Searing: the chicken thighs
2) Sauteing: the veggies
3) Braising: continue cooking the veggies and add herbs, chicken thighs and broth
Ingredients needed: (this list can be changed based on your preferences)
• 4 Chicken thighs preferably with w/skin on and bone in (can also use 3 “whole leg” – this is the leg and thigh sold in one piece)
• 2 cups broth (chicken or veggie)
• 2 carrots
• 2 celery ribs
• 1 onion
• 1/2 head green cabbage
• 2 red bell peppers
• 2 zucchinis
• Dried herbs/spices we’ll use what you have
• arrowroot for thickening the braising liquid
• Cutting boards, knives
• Bowls for “mise en place”
• Skillet with lid
• wood spoon, flipping spatula, tongs