Here is a photo gallery of the food I made for a 4-day silent retreat.
Scroll down to read the recipe cards for each dish, see my shadow, see the sunset, and read about the Silent Retreat.
Prep in the kitchen:
The recipe cards, ingredient lists:
Me and my shadow:
Five Days of Silence
November 2-6, 2012
Begins: Friday at 7pm.
Ends: Tuesday at 4pm.
Silence is the deepest and most authentic form of communication, both with others and within ourselves. It is the language that transcends the constant noise of our minds and allows us to experience our true Self, that purest state of Being, a state of peace, joy, and love.
Days will include:
Morning and afternoon Hatha Yoga
Guided practices and meditation
Personal contemplative time
Presentations with special guest Jim Nelson
Fresh, delicious, vegetarian meals by Chef Joni Sare (menu below)
Awakening Retreat Center, 9701 Deer Valley Road, Brentwood, CA 94513
- Including lodging $525
- Without lodging $325
Weekend only option (Fri, Sat and Sun) based on availability!
- Including lodging $345
- Without lodging $245
For the best possible experience we encourage participants stay on the premises for the duration of the retreat.
Awakening Retreat Center at 925-755-8822 or 925-389-6158. All major credit cards accepted.
Traveling teacher Jim Nelson will guide this retreat. Jim has practiced and taught meditation for over 35 years. He has served as the President of the Meditation Center in Minneapolis, MN, and has worked extensively as a consulting psychologist in both medical clinics and public school settings. Jim has spoken at both national and international conferences on a variety of psychological and philosophical topics. He is the author of Running On Empty: Transcending the Economic Culture’s Seduction of Our Youth.
Here’s our menu. We will have light vegetarian meals w/no garlic, no spicy foods (best for yoga and meditation). The underlined text are links to my recipes. The menu may change due to a variety of reasons including produce availability, and the replies I receive from the participants on questions of food allergies and dislikes.
- Zucchini or Broccoli bisque
- Quinoa with pistachios
- Kale salad with avocado dressing
- Leek soup with bread
- Apple crisp
- Kicheree (w/mung beans, rice, mild spices, herbs and veggies)
- Stuffed mushrooms w/cheese and gluten free bread crumbs
- Kale chips
- Creamy Ginger Squash Soup w/coconut milk
- Pressed salad w/savoy cabbage, carrots w/Asian dressing
- Dehydrated zucchini fig bread
- Dessert: Fruit Cobbler
- Sweet Spiced Beets on bed of sprouts
- Millet Souffle (a baked loaf w/eggs and veggies)
- Creamy Bok Choy Anise Soup OR Creamy Cauliflower w/toasted coriander
- Fennel & Tomatoes w/mashed potatoes & basil pesto
- Dessert: Spiced Poached Fruit in coconut milk
- Baked lentil cakes w/veggies (scroll down to see the lentil cakes)
- on bed of Romaine lettuce leaves
- served w/white bean alfredo sauce