- Cooking classes at the Culinary Center in Whole Foods Market, Los Altos
Join me for
at Whole Foods Market in Los Altos
Monday, March 21st
(Past events: Jan 24 and Feb 21)
Beginner to intermediate level chefs.
Do you want a meal for you/your family that is easy, tasty, fulfilling and satisfying — without the meat?
In this hands-on cooking class we will be transported to Asia in the flavors and textures of our meal. We will create an on-the-spot meal using few ingredients, easy utensils and simple cooking methods.
Please enroll at Customer Service, Whole Foods, Los Altos
The menu, Monday, March 21st
You will learn:
– time saving techniques (for speed-cooking enthusiasts)
– Nutritarian nutritional guidelines (for those who are having health challenges, such as: diabetes, weight issues, IBS, cancer)
– a bit of food science (to help increase your comfort level in the kitchen)
– how to blanch collard greens (so that they are easy to roll, easy to chew and easy to transport – i.e. to work for lunch)
– how to make a dairy-free, sugar-free dressing (very simple and flavorful)
– how to flavor tofu (without using oil)
– how to make simple, yet tasty brown rice
– how to balance fats, proteins and carbohydrates in a meatless meal
– how to incorporate nuts and seeds for healthy fat sources
– so much more.
This hands-on cooking class is for you if you are:
- doing the Eating for Health Challenge
- venturing into a vegetarian or vegan diet
- wanting to enhance your already-meatless meals
- are looking for light, yet satisfying meals to end the day
We’ll discuss the Nutritarian lifestyle and diet, by Dr. Joel Furhman, a plan that emphasizes eating for health by focusing on micronutrients, nutrient dense foods and healthy fats.
Here’s the menu for February 21, 2011
- Collard Wraps w/Veggies and Almond Butter Pad Thai sauce
- Spinach, chickpeas and cumin w/orange and coconut yogurt dressing
- Tofu w/lemon grass ginger sesame glaze
- Brown Rice w/shallots, cinnamon and rice vinegar
Here’s the menu for January 24, 2011
- Raw avocado soup with smoked salt (made in the blender)
- Steamed beets (made in a bamboo steamer) with a white wine ginger reduction sauce (made on the stove top)
- Sauteed greens w/broth and herbs (made on the stove top)
- Brown rice and mung beans (made in a rice cooker) topped with warming spices turmeric, coriander and cumin